Friday, June 3, 2011

Introduction: Writer's Voice

The paper I chose to demonstrate my “writer’s voice” is the Blog I titled “Green Community”. In this blog we had to talk about a certain community that we are a part of and how we contributed in the whole process of this community. I chose to write about my medical marijuana community I was part of. When I first wrote this paper I was very careful about how I want to come off as. People who smoke weed are looked at as so called “losers” and are stereotyped as having a lower intellectual level. So when I started writing this blog I tried to veer away from words that would make me sound like a stoner and chose to go with a more articulate approach. An example of that is “The enjoyment of smoking holds the group together because smoking enhances the senses and pleasure so when you are around people that are “high” there is a lot of love and compassion to be passed around. In a smoking session the members take turns passing the smoking apparatus, the smokier the air, the deeper the conversations that take place.” I also knew that I was speaking to an audience of a bunch of college kids who are already aware of the smoking community around them so I was no afraid of not talking about it and was not shy to bring it up in a blog. Writing in a public environment is challenging because a writer is only judged by his/her word which at time can have a good reflection, but can also evoke emotions from certain people because the writer is less aware of who is out there. This process of public writing really challenged me to think about what I have to say before I write it because I am not familiar with my audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment